Chancel arch


Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
(Arch.) the arch which spans the main opening, leading to the chancel.

See also: Chancel

References in periodicals archive ?
The rood affixed to the wall above the chancel arch was installed in 1927, the figures in paper mache and the cross in wood.
The Church of St Peter and St Paul in Stainton has a 13th century chancel arch and a tower dating from the 15th century.
All Saints' Church dates from the early 13th century, and still retains part of up to seven examples of medieval and post-medieval wall paintings, the most significant of these being on the chancel arch wall, the earliest of which dates from the 13th century.
ST MARTIN OF TOURS CHURCH, HAVERFORDWEST - PS100,000 St Martins is Grade II* listed as a church of early medieval origins, retaining good 14th Century Gothic chancel arch, sedilia, piscina and porch niches.
The church has its origins back in the 12th century and still has its original chancel arch.
The chancel, chancel arch and north transept date from the 13th century, while the south aisle arcade and great east window were built in the 14th century.
Inside, a false hammer beam nave roof; chancel arch with polished granite corbel shafts - stained glass E window by Heaton, Butler & Bayne 1899.
Once removed in the 1960s, the magnificent crucifix was hung in the chancel arch in the early 1990s when much restoration work was being done to highlight Pugin's designs which even include the curtains on either side of the altar.
Derbes and Sandona single out the chancel arch of the chapel as the focal point of their multiple reading of the frescoes and question the positioning of two frescoes: the Pact of Judas and the Visitation.
Its records go back no further than the end of the 16th century, and there is no mention of when the church was built, but its frescoes on the chancel arch and apse are precisely dated to 1511.
The Vicar of Driffield, the Rev Richard Carlill, said the stonework above the chancel arch was newer than the rest.
All Saints Church, nestled on top of the Burton Dassett Hills in south Warwickshire, dates from the early 13th century and still retains parts of seven medieval paintings, the most significant of which are on the chancel arch wall and appear to show part of a Passion cycle.