chancery(redirected from Chancellor (US legal system))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. chan·cer·ies
a. A court of chancery.
b. The proceedings and practice of a court of chancery; equity.
c. A court of public record; an office of archives.
d. One of the five divisions of the High Court of Justice of Great Britain, presided over by the Lord High Chancellor.
2. The office or department of a chancellor; a chancellery.
[Middle English chancerie, alteration of chancelrie; see chancellery.]
n, pl -ceries
1. (Law) Also called: Chancery Division (in England) the Lord Chancellor's court, now a division of the High Court of Justice
2. (Law) Also called: court of chancery (in the US) a court of equity
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) Brit the political section or offices of an embassy or legation
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) another name for chancellery
5. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a court of public records; archives
6. (Ecclesiastical Terms) Christianity a diocesan office under the supervision of a bishop's chancellor, having custody of archives, issuing official enactments, etc
7. (Law) law (of a suit) pending in a court of equity
8. (Wrestling) wrestling boxing (of a competitor's head) locked under an opponent's arm
[C14: shortened from chancellery]
chan•cer•y(ˈtʃæn sə ri, ˈtʃɑn-)
n., pl. -cer•ies.
1. the office or department of a chancellor; chancellery.
2. an office of public records.
3. Brit. the Lord Chancellor's court, a division of the High Court of Justice.
a. a court of equity.
5. the administrative office of a diocese.
[1325–75; Middle English chancerie, variant of chancelrie, syncopated variant of chancellerie chancellery]
The building upon a diplomatic or consular compound which houses the offices of the chief of mission or principal officer.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||chancery - a court with jurisdiction in equity|
|2.||chancery - an office of archives for public or ecclesiastic records; a court of public records|
archive - a depository containing historical records and documents
n ward in chancery → Mündel nt → in Amtsvormundschaft