Charles(redirected from Charles (European rulers))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Charles(chärlz)Prince of Wales. Born 1948.
The eldest son of Elizabeth II and heir to the British throne. He was invested as Prince of Wales in 1969.
1. (Biography) Prince of Wales. born 1948, son of Elizabeth II; heir apparent to the throne of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. He married (1981) Lady Diana Spencer; they separated in 1992 and were divorced in 1996; their son, Prince William of Wales, was born in 1982 and their second son, Prince Henry, in 1984; married (2005) Camilla Parker Bowles
2. (Biography) Ray real name Ray Charles Robinson. 1930–2004, US singer, pianist, and songwriter, whose work spans jazz, blues, gospel, pop, and country music
1. (Prince of Edinburgh and of Wales) born 1948, heir apparent to the throne of Great Britain (son of Elizabeth II).
2. Ray (Ray Charles Robinson), born 1930, U.S. blues singer and pianist.
3. Cape, a cape in E Virginia, N of the entrance to Chesapeake Bay.
4. a river in E Massachusetts, flowing between Boston and Cambridge into the Atlantic. 47 mi. (75 km) long.
1. Charles I,
b. ( “the Bald” ) A.D. 823–877, king of France 840–877; as Charles II, emperor of the Holy Roman Empire 875–877.
c. 1500–58, king of Spain 1516–56; as Charles V, emperor of the Holy Roman Empire 1519–56.
d. 1600–49, king of England, Scotland, and Ireland 1625–49 (son of James I).
e. 1887–1922, emperor of Austria 1916–18; as Charles IV, king of Hungary 1916–18.
2. Charles II,
b. 1630–85, king of England, Scotland, and Ireland 1660–85 (son of Charles I).
3. Charles IV,
a. ( “Charles the Fair” ) 1294–1328, king of France 1322–28.
b. (Charles of Luxembourg) 1316–78, king of Germany 1347–78 and Bohemia 1346–78; emperor of the Holy Roman Empire 1355–78.
4. Charles V,
a. ( “Charles the Wise” ) 1337–81, king of France 1364–80.
5. Charles VI ( “Charles the Mad” or “Charles the Well-beloved” ), 1368–1422, king of France 1380–1422.
6. Charles VII ( “Charles the Victorious” ), 1403–61, king of France 1422–61 (son of Charles VI).
7. Charles IX, 1550–74, king of France 1560–74.
8. Charles X, 1757–1836, king of France 1824–30.
9. Charles XIV, Bernadotte, Jean Baptiste Jules.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Charles - King of France from 1560 to 1574 whose reign was dominated by his mother Catherine de Medicis (1550-1574)|
|2.||Charles - King of France who began his reign with most of northern France under English control; after the intervention of Jeanne d'Arc the French were able to defeat the English and end the Hundred Years' War (1403-1461)|
|3.||Charles - as Charles II he was Holy Roman Emperor and as Charles I he was king of France (823-877)|
|4.||Charles - King of England and Scotland and Ireland during the Restoration (1630-1685)|
|5.||Charles - son of James I who was King of England and Scotland and Ireland; was deposed and executed by Oliver Cromwell (1600-1649)|
|6.||Charles - the eldest son of Elizabeth II and heir to the English throne (born in 1948)|
|7.||Charles - French physicist and author of Charles's law which anticipated Gay-Lussac's law (1746-1823)|
|8.||Charles - king of the Franks and Holy Roman Emperor; conqueror of the Lombards and Saxons (742-814)|
|9.||Charles - a river in eastern Massachusetts that empties into Boston Harbor and that separates Cambridge from Boston|