checker(redirected from Checker Cab)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. One, such as an inspector or examiner, that checks.
b. One that receives items for temporary safekeeping or for shipment: a baggage checker.
2. One of the round flat pieces used in the game of checkers.
a. A pattern of checks or squares.
b. One of the squares in such a pattern.
4. A cashier.
tr.v. check·ered, check·er·ing, check·ers
1. To mark with a checked or squared pattern.
2. To diversify (something) in color, shading, or character; variegate.
[Middle English cheker, chessboard, alteration of escheker, from Old French eschequier, from eschec, check in chess; see check.]
the usual US spelling of chequer
1. (Textiles) textiles a variant spelling of chequer2
2. (Chess & Draughts) US and Canadian any one of the 12 flat thick discs used by each player in the game of checkers. Also called (in Britain and certain other countries): draughtsman
1. a cashier, esp in a supermarket
2. an attendant in a cloakroom, left-luggage office, etc
1. a small, usu. red or black disk of plastic or wood, used in playing checkers.
2. checkers, (used with a sing. v.) a game played by two persons, each with 12 playing pieces, on a checkerboard.
3. a checkered pattern.
4. one of the squares in such a pattern.v.t.
5. to mark like a checkerboard.
6. to diversify in color; variegate.
7. to diversify in character.
[1250–1300; Middle English: chessboard < Anglo-French escheker]
1. a person or thing that checks.
2. a cashier, as in a supermarket.
3. an employee of a checkroom.
Past participle: checkered
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||checker - an attendant who checks coats or baggage|
|2.||checker - one who checks the correctness of something|
|3.||checker - one of the flat round pieces used in playing the game of checkers|
checkers, draughts - a checkerboard game for two players who each have 12 pieces; the object is to jump over and so capture the opponent's pieces
king - a checker that has been moved to the opponent's first row where it is promoted to a piece that is free to move either forward or backward
|Verb||1.||checker - mark into squares or draw squares on; draw crossed lines on|
draw - represent by making a drawing of, as with a pencil, chalk, etc. on a surface; "She drew an elephant"; "Draw me a horse"
|2.||checker - variegate with different colors, shades, or patterns|