Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Cherokee: jeep, Iroquois
n. pl. Cherokee or Cher·o·kees
1. A member of a Native American people formerly inhabiting the southern Appalachian Mountains from the western Carolinas and eastern Tennessee to northern Georgia, with present-day populations in northeast Oklahoma and western North Carolina. The Cherokee were removed to Indian Territory in the 1830s after conflict with American settlers over rights to traditional lands.
2. The Iroquoian language of the Cherokee.
[From Cherokee tsalaki.]
npl -kees or -kee
1. (Peoples) a member of a Native American people formerly living in and around the Appalachian Mountains, now chiefly in Oklahoma; one of the Iroquois peoples
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Iroquoian family
n., pl. -kees, (esp. collectively) -kee.
1. a member of an American Indian people residing orig. in the W Carolinas and E Tennessee: surviving groups live in Oklahoma and North Carolina.
2. the Iroquoian language of the Cherokee.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Cherokee - the Iroquoian language spoken by the Cherokee|
|2.||Cherokee - a member of an Iroquoian people formerly living in the Appalachian Mountains but now chiefly in Oklahoma|
Iroquois - any member of the warlike North American Indian peoples formerly living in New York State; the Iroquois League were allies of the British during the American Revolution
n → Tscherokese m, → Tscherokesin f