chevron(redirected from Chevron (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A badge or insignia consisting of stripes meeting at an angle, worn on the sleeve of a military or police uniform to indicate rank, merit, or length of service.
2. Heraldry A device shaped like an inverted V.
3. A V-shaped pattern, especially a kind of fret used in architecture.
[Middle English cheveron, from Old French chevron, rafter (from the meeting of rafters at an angle), probably from Vulgar Latin *capriōcapriōn-; akin to Latin capreolus, young of the roe deer, rafter (from the resemblance of the rafters of a pitched roof to the forked antlers of the roe deer), from diminutive of caprea, roe deer, from Latin caper, capr-, goat.]
1. (Military) military a badge or insignia consisting of one or more V-shaped stripes to indicate a noncommissioned rank or length of service
2. (Heraldry) heraldry an inverted V-shaped charge on a shield, one of the earliest ordinaries found in English arms
3. (usually plural) a pattern of horizontal black and white V-shapes on a road sign indicating a sharp bend
4. any V-shaped pattern or device
5. (Architecture) Also called: dancette an ornamental moulding having a zigzag pattern
[C14: from Old French, ultimately from Latin caper goat; compare Latin capreoli two pieces of wood forming rafters (literally: little goats)]
1. a badge of one or more V-shaped stripes worn on the sleeve by noncommissioned officers to indicate rank, length of service, etc.
2. an ornament in this form, as on a molding.
3. Also called chev′ron weave`. herringbone (def. 2a).
4. Heraldry. an ordinary in the form of an inverted V.
[1300–50; Middle English cheveroun < Old French: rafter, chevron < Vulgar Latin *capriōn-, s. of *capriō, derivative of Latin caper goat]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||chevron - V-shaped sleeve badge indicating military rank and service; "they earned their stripes in Kuwait"|
badge - an emblem (a small piece of plastic or cloth or metal) that signifies your status (rank or membership or affiliation etc.); "they checked everyone's badge before letting them in"
|2.||chevron - an inverted V-shaped charge|