chickpea(redirected from Chick peas)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. An annual Asian plant (Cicer arietinum) in the pea family, widely cultivated for the edible seeds in its short inflated pods.
2. A seed of this plant. In both senses also called garbanzo.
[Alteration (perhaps influenced by chick) of obsolete chichpease : Middle English chiche, chickpea (from Old French, from Latin cicer; akin to Armenian siseṙn, both Latin and Armenian being loanwords from an unknown source) + pease, pea; see pea.]
1. (Plants) a bushy leguminous plant, Cicer arietinum, cultivated for its edible pealike seeds in the Mediterranean region, central Asia, and Africa
2. (Cookery) Also called: garbanzo the seed of this plant
[C16 ciche peasen, from ciche (from French chiche, from Latin cicer chickpea) + peasen; see pea]
1. a plant, Cicer arietinum, of the legume family, bearing pods containing pealike seeds.
2. chickpeas, the seeds of this plant, used as a food.Also called garbanzo.
[1540–50; chich-pea < late Middle English chiche < Middle French « Latin cicer chickpea]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||chickpea - the seed of the chickpea plant|
legume - the fruit or seed of any of various bean or pea plants consisting of a case that splits along both sides when ripe and having the seeds attach to one side of the case
|2.||chickpea - Asiatic herb cultivated for its short pods with one or two edible seeds|
|3.||chickpea - large white roundish Asiatic legume; usually dried|
legume - the seedpod of a leguminous plant (such as peas or beans or lentils)