Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Chi·me·raalso Chi·mae·ra (kī-mîr′ə, kĭ-)
1. Greek Mythology A fire-breathing female monster usually represented as a composite of a lion, goat, and serpent.
2. An imaginary monster made up of grotesquely disparate parts.
chi·me·raalso chi·mae·ra (kī-mîr′ə, kĭ-)
a. An organism, organ, or part consisting of two or more tissues of different genetic composition, produced as a result of organ transplant, grafting, or genetic engineering.
b. A gene or protein consisting of parts from two different genes or proteins that are normally distinct, sometimes derived from two different species.
2. An individual who has received a transplant of genetically and immunologically different tissue.
3. A fanciful mental illusion or fabrication.
chimera(kaɪˈmɪərə; kɪ-) or
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) (often capital) Greek myth a fire-breathing monster with the head of a lion, body of a goat, and tail of a serpent
2. (Art Terms) a fabulous beast made up of parts taken from various animals
3. a wild and unrealistic dream or notion
4. (Genetics) biology an organism, esp a cultivated plant, consisting of at least two genetically different kinds of tissue as a result of mutation, grafting, etc
[C16: from Latin chimaera, from Greek khimaira she-goat, from khimaros he-goat]
or chi•mae•ra(kɪˈmɪər ə, kaɪ-)
n., pl. -ras.
1. (often cap.) a monster of classical myth, commonly represented with a lion's head, a goat's body, and a serpent's tail.
2. any horrible or grotesque imaginary creature.
3. a fancy or dream.
4. an organism composed of two or more genetically distinct tissues.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin chimaera < Greek chímaira she-goat; akin to Old Norse gymbr, E gimmer ewe-lamb one year (i.e., one winter) old, Latin hiems winter (see hiemal)]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Chimera - (Greek mythology) fire-breathing female monster with a lion's head and a goat's body and a serpent's tail; daughter of Typhon|
Greek mythology - the mythology of the ancient Greeks
|2.||chimera - a grotesque product of the imagination|