cholinergic(redirected from Cholinergic Drug)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Cholinergic Drug: anticholinergic drug, cholinergic agent
1. Activated by or capable of liberating acetylcholine, especially in the parasympathetic nervous system.
2. Having physiological effects similar to those of acetylcholine: a cholinergic agent or drug.
[(acetyl)cholin(e) + -ergic.]
1. (Physiology) denoting nerve fibres that release acetylcholine when stimulated
2. (Physiology) of or relating to the type of chemical activity associated with acetylcholine and similar substances
[C20: from (acetyl)cholin(e) + Greek ergon work]
cho•lin•er•gic(ˌkoʊ ləˈnɜr dʒɪk, ˌkɒl ə-)
1. resembling acetylcholine in physiological effect: a cholinergic drug.
2. releasing acetylcholine: a cholinergic neuron.
3. activated by acetylcholine: a cholinergic receptor.