Panama City(redirected from Ciudad de Panamá)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A city of northwest Florida on the Gulf of Mexico east-southeast of Pensacola. It is a resort and fishing center and a port of entry.
2. See Panama.
(Placename) the capital of Panama, near the Pacific entrance of the Panama Canal: developed rapidly with the building of the Panama Canal; seat of the University of Panama (1935). Pop: 950 000 (2005 est)
Pan•a•ma(ˈpæn əˌmɑ, -ˌmɔ)
n., pl. -mas for 5.
1. a republic in S Central America. 2,778,526; 29,762 sq. mi. (77,082 sq. km).
2. Also called Panama City. the capital of Panama, at the Pacific end of the Panama Canal. 594,800.
3. Isthmus of, an isthmus between North and South America.
4. Gulf of, the portion of the Pacific in the bend of the Isthmus of Panama.
5. (sometimes l.c.) Panama hat.Also, Pa•na•má (Sp. ˌpɑ nɑˈmɑ) (for defs. 1,2).
Pan`a•ma′ni•an (-ˈmeɪ ni ən) adj., n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Panama City - a resort and fishing town on the Gulf of Mexico in northwest Florida|
|2.||Panama City - the capital and largest city of Panama|