civil engineering

(redirected from Civilian engineering)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Civilian engineering: History of civil engineering

civil engineer

An engineer trained in the design and construction of public works, such as bridges or dams, and other large facilities.

civil engineering n.

civ′il engineer′ing

the applied science of the design of public works, as roads, bridges, dams, harbors, etc., and the supervision of their construction or maintenance.
civ′il engineer′, n.

civ·il engineering

The branch of engineering that specializes in the design and construction of projects such as bridges, roads, and dams.

civil engineering

Those combat support and combat service support activities that identify, design, construct, lease, or provide facilities, and which operate, maintain, and perform war damage repair and other engineering functions in support of military operations. See also civil engineering support plan; combat service support; combat support.
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Noun1.civil engineering - the branch of engineering concerned with the design and construction of such public works as dams or bridges
applied science, engineering science, technology, engineering - the discipline dealing with the art or science of applying scientific knowledge to practical problems; "he had trouble deciding which branch of engineering to study"
hydraulic engineering - the branch of civil engineering dealing with the use and control of water in motion
References in periodicals archive ?
Twenty-five BA holding candidates studied business administration, electrical engineering, civilian engineering, mechanical engineering, financing, economy, statistics, law and maritime navigation.
The contest was inspired in part by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency's robotics competition, which used prize money to motivate civilian engineering teams to build cutting edge robots that could perform disaster response missions.
After a couple of years of active duty, I went back home to a civilian engineering job.
McKenzie reflected that it is rare now for her not to have women working alongside her in the army, from the highly skilled technicians to civilian engineering contractors, to the ASM--the highest-ranking non-commissioned officer in the company--to her second in command.
The Post said he told investigators from the International Atomic Energy Agency that he thought his work was limited to assisting civilian engineering projects.

Full browser ?