palette(redirected from Color palette)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Color palette: color scheme, color wheel
1. A board, typically with a hole for the thumb, which an artist can hold while painting and on which colors are mixed.
a. The range of colors used in a visual medium, in a picture, or by an artist: a limited palette.
b. Any similar set of elements or qualities, such as musical notes, used in a medium, in a composition, or by an artist.
1. (Art Terms) Also: pallet a flat piece of wood, plastic, etc, used by artists as a surface on which to mix their paints
2. (Art Terms) the range of colours characteristic of a particular artist, painting, or school of painting: a restricted palette.
3. (Computer Science) the available range of colours or patterns that can be displayed by a computer on a visual display unit
4. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) either of the plates of metal attached by a strap to the cuirass in a suit of armour to protect the armpits
[C17: from French, diminutive of pale shovel, from Latin pala spade]
1. a thin, usu. oval or oblong board or tablet used by painters for holding and mixing colors.
2. the set of colors on such a board.
3. the range of colors used by a particular artist.
4. the variety of techniques or range of any art: a composer's musical palette.
5. the complete range of colors made available by a computer graphics card, from which a user or program may choose those to be displayed.
[1615–25; < French, Middle French < Italian paletta, diminutive of pala shovel < Latin pāla]
1. A flat surface used by a painter to mix colors, traditionally oblong with a hole for the thumb.
2. The range of colors available to a painter.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||palette - the range of colour characteristic of a particular artist or painting or school of art|
ambit, range, scope, reach, compass, orbit - an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control: "the range of a supersonic jet"; "a piano has a greater range than the human voice"; "the ambit of municipal legislation"; "within the compass of this article"; "within the scope of an investigation"; "outside the reach of the law"; "in the political orbit of a world power"
|2.||palette - board that provides a flat surface on which artists mix paints and the range of colors used|
board - a flat piece of material designed for a special purpose; "he nailed boards across the windows"
|3.||palette - one of the rounded armor plates at the armpits of a suit of armor|
armor plate, armor plating, armour plate, plate armor, plate armour - specially hardened steel plate used to protect fortifications or vehicles from enemy fire
noun see palate
لَوْحَة ألوان الرَسّام
n → Palette f
palette[ˈpælɪt] n → tavolozza
a small flat piece of wood etc, with a hole for the thumb, on which an artist mixes his colours. palet لَوْحَة ألوان الرَسّام палитра paleta paleta die Palette palet παλέταpaleta palett شستی نقاشی paletti palette לוּח הַצבָעִים रंग मिलाने की तख्ती paleta paletta palet litaspjald tavolozza パレット 팔레트, 조색판(調色板) paletė palete pelet paletpalettpaleta كمكۍ هګۍ ډوله، تخته چې هلته انځور ګران او نقاشان رنګونه سره ګډوي paleta paletă палитра paleta paleta paleta palett จานผสมสีของจิตรกร palet 調色板 палітра مصور کي تختي bảng màu 调色板