Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Colorado: Colorado Springs, Colorado River, Denver
Abbr. CO or Col. or Colo.
A state of the west-central United States. It was admitted as the 38th state in 1876. First explored by the Spanish in the 16th and 17th centuries, the region was added to the United States through the Louisiana Purchase (1803) and a cession by Mexico (1848). The Colorado Territory was organized in 1861. Denver is the capital and the largest city.
Col′o·ra′dan, Col′o·ra′do·an adj. & n.
1. (Placename) a state of the central US: consists of the Great Plains in the east and the Rockies in the west; drained chiefly by the Colorado, Arkansas, South Platte, and Rio Grande Rivers. Capital: Denver. Pop: 4 550 688 (2003 est). Area: 269 998 sq km (104 247 sq miles). Abbreviation: Colo. or CO (with zip code)
2. (Placename) a river in SW North America, rising in the Rocky Mountains and flowing southwest to the Gulf of California: famous for the 1600 km (1000 miles) of canyons along its course. Length: about 2320 km (1440 miles)
3. (Placename) a river in central Texas, flowing southeast to the Gulf of Mexico. Length: about 1450 km (900 miles)
4. (Placename) a river in central Argentina, flowing southeast to the Atlantic. Length: about 850 km (530 miles)
[Spanish, literally: red, from Latin colōrātus coloured, tinted red; see colour]
Col•o•rad•o(ˌkɒl əˈræd oʊ, -ˈrɑ doʊ)
1. a state in the W United States. 4,301,261; 104,247 sq. mi. (270,000 sq. km). Cap.: Denver. Abbr.: CO, Col., Colo.
2. a river flowing SW from N Colorado through Utah and Arizona into the Gulf of California. 1450 mi. (2335 km) long.
3. a river flowing SE from W Texas to the Gulf of Mexico. 840 mi. (1350 km) long.
Col`o•rad′an, Col`o•rad′o•an, adj., n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Colorado - a state in west central United States in the Rocky Mountains|
Mesa Verde National Park - a national park in Colorado containing prehistoric cliff dwellings; semiarid landscape
Rocky Mountain National Park - a national park in Colorado having mountains and lakes and streams and forests
U.S.A., United States, United States of America, US, USA, America, the States, U.S. - North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; achieved independence in 1776
Boulder - a town in north central Colorado; Rocky Mountains resort center and university town
Colorado Springs - a city in east central Colorado on the eastern edge of the Rocky Mountains; popular tourist center and site of the United States Air Force Academy
capital of Colorado, Denver, Mile-High City - the state capital and largest city of Colorado; located in central Colorado on the South Platte river
Pueblo - a city in Colorado to the south of Colorado Springs
Arkansas River, Arkansas - a river that rises in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado and flows southeast through Kansas and Oklahoma and through Arkansas to become a tributary of the Mississippi River
Colorado River, Colorado - an important river in the southwestern United States; rises in the Rocky Mountains of northern Colorado and flows southwest through Utah into Arizona (where it flows through the Grand Canyon) and then southward through the southern tip of Nevada, then forming the border between California and Arizona and finally into Mexico where it empties into the Gulf of California; the main source of water in the southwestern United States
Colorado Plateau - a large plateau to the south and west of the Rocky Mountains; abuts mountains on the north and east and ends in an escarpment overlooking lowlands to the south and west; the Grand Canyon is carved out of the southwestern corner
North Platte, North Platte River - a river that rises in northern Colorado and flows northward into Wyoming and then eastward and southeastward through Nebraska where it joins the South Platte to form the Platte River
Pike's Peak - a mountain peak in the Rockies in central Colorado (14,109 feet high)
Republican River, Republican - a tributary of the Kansas River that flows from eastern Colorado eastward through Nebraska and Kansas
San Juan Mountains - a mountain range in southwestern Colorado that is part of the Rocky Mountains
|2.||Colorado - a river in Texas; flows southeast into the Gulf of Mexico|
|3.||Colorado - an important river in the southwestern United States; rises in the Rocky Mountains of northern Colorado and flows southwest through Utah into Arizona (where it flows through the Grand Canyon) and then southward through the southern tip of Nevada, then forming the border between California and Arizona and finally into Mexico where it empties into the Gulf of California; the main source of water in the southwestern United States|
Mexico, United Mexican States - a republic in southern North America; became independent from Spain in 1810
Battle Born State, Nevada, NV, Sagebrush State, Silver State - a state in the southwestern United States