Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A city of central Missouri north-northwest of Jefferson City. The main campus of the University of Missouri (established 1839) is here.
2. The capital of South Carolina, in the central part of the state at the head of the Santee River system. Although nearly destroyed in a fire during the Civil War, it is now the state's largest city. The University of South Carolina was established here in 1801.
The United States.
[After Christopher Columbus.]
1. (Placename) a river in NW North America, rising in the Rocky Mountains and flowing through British Columbia, then west to the Pacific. Length: about 1930 km (1200 miles)
2. (Placename) a city in central South Carolina, on the Congaree River: the state capital. Pop: 117 357 (2003 est)
(Astronautics) the first test vehicle of the NASA space shuttle fleet to prove the possibility of routine access to space for scientific and commercial ventures
Co•lum•bi•a(kəˈlʌm bi ə)
1. a river in SW Canada and the NW United States, flowing S and W from SE British Columbia through Washington along the boundary between Washington and Oregon and into the Pacific. 1214 mi. (1955 km) long.
2. the capital of South Carolina, in the central part. 112,773.
3. a city in central Missouri. 64,330.
4. a city in central Maryland. 52,518.
5. the United States of America.
6. the first space shuttle to orbit and return to earth.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Columbia - a North American river; rises in southwestern Canada and flows southward across Washington to form the border between Washington and Oregon before emptying into the Pacific; known for its salmon runs in the spring|
Canada - a nation in northern North America; the French were the first Europeans to settle in mainland Canada; "the border between the United States and Canada is the longest unguarded border in the world"
|2.||Columbia - a town in west central Tennessee|
|3.||Columbia - capital and largest city in South Carolina; located in central South Carolina|
|4.||Columbia - a university town in central Missouri|
|5.||Columbia - a university in New York City |
Ivy League - a league of universities and colleges in the northeastern United States that have a reputation for scholastic achievement and social prestige