Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A city of western Georgia on the Chattahoochee River south-southwest of Atlanta. Settled in 1828 on the site of a Creek village, it is a port of entry and major industrial center.
2. A city of south-central Indiana south-southeast of Indianapolis. Founded in 1820, it is known for its modern architecture.
3. The capital of Ohio, in the central part of the state on the Scioto River. Laid out as the capital in 1812, it is a major commercial center and the seat of The Ohio State University (established 1873).
1. (Placename) a city in central Ohio: the state capital. Pop: 728 432 (2003 est)
2. (Placename) a city in W Georgia, on the Chattahoochee River. Pop: 185 702 (2003 est)
(Biography) Christopher. Spanish name Cristóbal Colón, Italian name Cristoforo Colombo. 1451–1506, Italian navigator and explorer in the service of Spain, who discovered the New World (1492)
1. Christopher (Sp. Cristóbal Colón; It. Cristoforo Colombo), 1446?–1506, Italian navigator in Spanish service: traditionally considered the discoverer of America 1492.
2. the capital of Ohio, in the central part. 657,053.
3. a city in W Georgia. 182,828.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Columbus - the state capital of Ohio; located in the center of the state; site of Ohio State University|
Ohio State University - a university in Columbus, Ohio
|2.||Columbus - Italian navigator who discovered the New World in the service of Spain while looking for a route to China (1451-1506)|
|3.||Columbus - a town in eastern Mississippi near the border with Alabama|
|4.||Columbus - a city in western Georgia on the Chattahoochee River; industrial center|