constituent(redirected from Constituents)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Serving as part of a whole; component: a constituent element.
2. Empowered to elect or designate.
3. Authorized to make or amend a constitution: a constituent assembly.
1. A constituent part; a component. See Synonyms at element.
2. A resident of a district or member of a group represented by an elected official.
3. One that authorizes another to act as a representative; a client.
4. A structural unit, such as a verb, noun phrase, or clause, in a grammatical construction.
[Latin cōnstituēns, cōnstituent-, present participle of cōnstituere, to set up; see constitute. N., from French, from Latin cōnstituēns, from present participle of cōnstituere.]
1. forming part of a whole; component
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) having the power to frame a constitution or to constitute a government (esp in the phrases constituent assembly, constituent power)
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) rare electing or having the power to elect
4. a component part; ingredient
5. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a resident of a constituency, esp one entitled to vote
6. (Law) chiefly law a person who appoints another to act for him, as by power of attorney
[C17: from Latin constituēns setting up, from constituere to establish, constitute]
con•stit•u•ent(kənˈstɪtʃ u ənt)
1. serving to make up a thing; component: the constituent parts of a motor.
2. having power to frame or alter a political constitution or fundamental law, as distinguished from lawmaking power: a constituent assembly.n.
3. a constituent element, material, etc.; component.
4. a person who authorizes another to act in his or her behalf, as a voter in a district represented by an elected official.
5. a linguistic element considered as part of a construction. Compare immediate constituent, ultimate constituent.
[1615–25; < Latin constituent-, s. of constituēns, present participle of constituere to set up, found, constitute =con- con- + -stituere, comb. form of statuere to set up. See statute]
syn: See element.
Any of the residents represented by a particular elected legislator.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||constituent - an artifact that is one of the individual parts of which a composite entity is made up; especially a part that can be separated from or attached to a system; "spare components for cars"; "a component or constituent element of a system"|
addition, add-on, improver - a component that is added to something to improve it; "the addition of a bathroom was a major improvement"; "the addition of cinnamon improved the flavor"
audio - the sound elements of television
crystal - a crystalline element used as a component in various electronic devices
computer hardware, hardware - (computer science) the mechanical, magnetic, electronic, and electrical components making up a computer system
heating element - the component of a heater or range that transforms fuel or electricity into heat
ingredient - a component of a mixture or compound
input - a component of production; something that goes into the production of output
landside - component consisting of a side piece opposite the moldboard
making - (usually plural) the components needed for making or doing something; "the recipe listed all the makings for a chocolate cake"
module - a self-contained component (unit or item) that is used in combination with other components
part, portion - something less than the whole of a human artifact; "the rear part of the house"; "glue the two parts together"
pel, picture element, pixel - (computer science) the smallest discrete component of an image or picture on a CRT screen (usually a colored dot); "the greater the number of pixels per inch the greater the resolution"
retrofit - a component or accessory added to something after it has been manufactured
spark gap - a component of an ignition system; consists of two shaped electrodes and the space between them
|2.||constituent - a member of a constituency; a citizen who is represented in a government by officials for whom he or she votes; "needs continued support by constituents to be re-elected"|
constituency - the body of voters who elect a representative for their area
|3.||constituent - something determined in relation to something that includes it; "he wanted to feel a part of something bigger than himself"; "I read a portion of the manuscript"; "the smaller component is hard to reach"; "the animal constituent of plankton"|
substance - the real physical matter of which a person or thing consists; "DNA is the substance of our genes"
relation - an abstraction belonging to or characteristic of two entities or parts together
language unit, linguistic unit - one of the natural units into which linguistic messages can be analyzed
item, point - a distinct part that can be specified separately in a group of things that could be enumerated on a list; "he noticed an item in the New York Times"; "she had several items on her shopping list"; "the main point on the agenda was taken up first"
butt - the part of a plant from which the roots spring or the part of a stalk or trunk nearest the roots
basis, base - the most important or necessary part of something; "the basis of this drink is orange juice"
detail, item, particular - a small part that can be considered separately from the whole; "it was perfect in all details"
unit - an individual or group or structure or other entity regarded as a structural or functional constituent of a whole; "the reduced the number of units and installations"; "the word is a basic linguistic unit"
member - anything that belongs to a set or class; "snakes are members of the class Reptilia"; "members of the opposite sex"
remainder, residual, residuum, rest, residue, balance - something left after other parts have been taken away; "there was no remainder"; "he threw away the rest"; "he took what he wanted and I got the balance"
subpart - a part of a part
|4.||constituent - (grammar) a word or phrase or clause forming part of a larger grammatical construction|
grammar - the branch of linguistics that deals with syntax and morphology (and sometimes also deals with semantics)
sentence - a string of words satisfying the grammatical rules of a language; "he always spoke in grammatical sentences"
subject - (grammar) one of the two main constituents of a sentence; the grammatical constituent about which something is predicated
object - (grammar) a constituent that is acted upon; "the object of the verb"
ablative absolute - a constituent in Latin grammar; a noun and its modifier can function as a sentence modifier
immediate constituent - a constituent of a sentence at the first step in an analysis: e.g., subject and predicate
grammatical construction, construction, expression - a group of words that form a constituent of a sentence and are considered as a single unit; "I concluded from his awkward constructions that he was a foreigner"
misconstruction - an ungrammatical constituent
term - one of the substantive phrases in a logical proposition; "the major term of a syllogism must occur twice"
|5.||constituent - an abstract part of something; "jealousy was a component of his character"; "two constituents of a musical composition are melody and harmony"; "the grammatical elements of a sentence"; "a key factor in her success"; "humor: an effective ingredient of a speech"|
be all and end all, be-all and end-all - the essential factor; the all-important element; the supreme aim; "profit is the be-all and end-all of business"
plot element - a component or element of the plot of a story
point - a geometric element that has position but no extension; "a point is defined by its coordinates"
|Adj.||1.||constituent - constitutional in the structure of something (especially your physical makeup)|
essential - basic and fundamental; "the essential feature"
1. voter, elector, member of the electorate They plan to consult their constituents before taking action.
أجْزاء مُقَوِّمهصاحِب حَق إشْتِراك في وَضع الدُّستورمُكَوِّن، مُقَوِّم
podstatná částvoličzákladnízákladní složka
rinkėjairinkimų apygardasudedamasissudedamoji dalis
1. a necessary part. Hydrogen is a constituent of water. bestanddeel, samestellende deel مُكَوِّن، مُقَوِّم съставна част constituinte podstatná část, základní složka der Bestandteil bestanddel αναγκαίο συστατικό componente koostisosa تشکیل دهنده؛ بخش لازم tärkeä osa élément constitutif מרכיב अवयव, संघटक sastavni dio alkotórész unsur hluti; efnisþáttur elemento costituente 構成要素 구성물질 sudedamoji dalis sastāvdaļa unsur bestanddeelnødvendig bestanddelskładnik انتخاب كوونكى: تشكيلوونكى: داساسى قانون جوړوونكى: تركيبوونكى constituinte (element) component составная часть základná zložka sestavina sastavni deo beståndsdel ส่วนประกอบที่สำคัญ bileşen, öge 成分，要素 складова частина لازمى جز thành phần 组分，要素
2. a voter from a particular member of parliament's constituency. He deals with all his constituents' problems. kieser صاحِب حَق إشْتِراك في وَضع الدُّستور избирател eleitor volič der/die Wähler(in) vælger ψηφοφόροςelector valija رأی دهنده؛ موکل äänestäjä électeur/-trice מְכּונֶנֶת मतदाता birač, glasač választópolgár pemilih kjósandi elettore, elettrice 選挙区民 선거구 rinkėjas vēlētājs pengundi kiezervelgerwyborca رای ورکوونکي eleitor alegător избиратель volič, -ka volilec birač väljare ผู้มีสิทธิเลือกตั้ง seçmen 選民 виборець راۓ دهنده cử tri một khu vực bầu cử 选民adjective
He broke it down into its constituent parts. onderdeel أجْزاء مُقَوِّمه съставен constituinte základní einen Teil bildend del-; element-; komponent- συστατικόςconstitutivo, constituyente koostis- تشکیل دهنده rakenteellinen constitutif; constituantמרכיב अवयव sastavni alkotó unsur frumefni/-þáttur costituente 成分の 구성물질의 sudedamasis sastādošs; sastāv konstituen samenstellend som utgjør en del av et hele (bestanddel) składowy تشکیلونکی constituinte component; constitutiv составной základný sestaven sastavni bestånds- เป็นส่วนประกอบ oluşturan, bileştiren 組成的 складовий جزو تركيبى cấu thành 组成的conˈstituency – plural conˈstituencies – noun
the group of voters, or the area in which they live, represented by a member of parliament. kiesafdeling, kiesdistrik; kiesers مَجْموع ناخِبين избирателен район distrito eleitoral voličstvo, voliči z jednoho volebního obvodu die Wählerschaft, der Wahlkreis valgkreds εκλογική περιφέρειαcircunscripción, distrito electoral valijaskond, valimisringkond رای دهنده گان؛ حوزۀ انتخاباتی vaalipiiri circonscription אֵזוֹר בְּחִירוֹת निर्वाचन क्षेत्र izborni okrug, glasači választókerület jumlah pemilih kjósendur; kjörkæmi collegio elettorale 選挙区 (民) 유권자, 선거구 rinkimų apygarda, rinkėjai vēlētāji; vēlēšanu apgabals kawasan pengundian kiesdistrictvalgkretsokręg wyborczy د انتخاباتی حوزی círculo eleitoral circumscripţie electorală избирательный округ voliči; volebný volilno okrožje birači izbornog okruga valkrets ผู้ที่มีสิทธิเลือกตั้งในเขตเลือกตั้ง seçim bölgesi 選區，選區內的全體選民 виборчий округ حلقۂ انتخاب، حلقۂ انتخاب كے باشندے khu vực bầu cử 选区，选区的全体选民