cookie(redirected from Cookiee)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
cook·iealso cook·y (ko͝ok′ē)
n. pl. cook·ies
1. A small, usually flat and crisp cake made from sweetened dough.
2. Slang A person, usually of a specified kind: a lawyer who was a tough cookie.
3. Computers A collection of information, usually including a username and the current date and time, stored on the local computer of a person using the World Wide Web, used chiefly by websites to identify users who have previously registered or visited the site.
[Dutch koekje, diminutive of koek, cake, from Middle Dutch koeke; akin to German Kuchen and Old Norse kaka, cake.]
n, pl -ies
1. (Cookery) US and Canadian a small flat dry sweet or plain cake of many varieties, baked from a dough. Also called (in Britain and certain other countries): biscuit
2. (Cookery) a Scot word for bun
3. informal a person: smart cookie.
4. (Telecommunications) computing a piece of data downloaded to a computer by a website, containing details of the preferences of that computer's user which identify the user when revisiting that website
5. that's the way the cookie crumbles informal matters are inevitably or unalterably so
[C18: from Dutch koekje, diminutive of koek cake]
or cook•y(ˈkʊk i)
n., pl. cook•ies.
1. a small, flat, sweetened cake, often round, made from stiff dough baked on a large, flat pan (cook′ie sheet`).
2. Slang. a person: a smart cookie.
3. Computers. a message, or segment of data, containing information about a user, sent by a Web server to a browser and sent back to the server each time the browser requests a Web page.
[1695–1705; < Dutch koekie, dial. variant of koekje=koek cake + -je diminutive suffix]
1. A data file that a web server stores on a user’s computer to identify the user and allow quick access the next time the user visits the server.
2. A small text file that contains information about a computer that has been used to visit a website. Some web servers send cookies to all computers that access them and these are stored on the computer’s hard drive. The next time the same computer is used to access the same website the web server for that site reads the cookie enabling it to identify the user and implement any preferences that user may have decided on during their last visit.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cookie - any of various small flat sweet cakes (`biscuit' is the British term)|
cake - baked goods made from or based on a mixture of flour, sugar, eggs, and fat
dog biscuit - a hard biscuit for dogs
butter cookie - cookie containing much butter
spice cookie - cookie flavored with spices
almond cookie, almond crescent - very rich cookie containing ground almonds; usually crescent-shaped
brownie - square or bar of very rich chocolate cake usually with nuts
macaroon - chewy cookie usually containing almond paste
kiss - a cookie made of egg whites and sugar
ladyfinger - small finger-shaped sponge cake
anise cookie - cookie made without butter and flavored with anise seed
molasses cookie - very spicy cookies sweetened partially with molasses
raisin-nut cookie - cookie filled with a paste of raisins and nuts
refrigerator cookie - dough formed into a roll and chilled in the refrigerator then sliced and baked
raisin cookie - cookie containing raisins
fruit bar - cookies containing chopped fruits either mixed in the dough or spread between layers of dough then baked and cut in bars
sugar cookie - cookies sprinkled with granulated sugar
oatmeal cookie - cookies containing rolled oats
fortune cookie - thin folded wafer containing a maxim on a slip of paper
gingerbread man - gingerbread cut in the shape of a person
wafer - a small thin crisp cake or cookie
granola bar - cookie bar made of granola
Britain, Great Britain, U.K., UK, United Kingdom, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom
|2.||cookie - the cook on a ranch or at a camp |
cook - someone who cooks food
|3.||cookie - a short line of text that a web site puts on your computer's hard drive when you access the web site|
session cookie - a cookie that is stored temporarily and is destroyed when you close the link
precision cookie - a cookie that is saved permanently on your hard drive
بَسْكَوِيتكَعْـكَـه رقيقَـه مُسَطَّـحـه
(US: = biscuit) → Keks m, → Plätzchen nt; that’s the way the cookie crumbles (inf: also Brit) → so ist das nun mal (im Leben), das ist der Lauf der Welt or der Dinge; to get caught with one’s hands in the cookie jar (fig inf) → ertappt werden (inf)
(inf: = smart person) → Typ m; he’s a pretty tough cookie → er ist ein ziemlich zäher Typ; smart cookie → cleveres Köpfchen
(Comput) → Cookie nt
cookie[ˈkʊkɪ] n (Am) (biscuit) → biscotto
(American) a biscuit. koekie كَعْـكَـه رقيقَـه مُسَطَّـحـه бисквита biscoito sušenka, koláček das Plätzchen småkage; cookie μπισκότοgalleta, bizcocho küpsis بیسکوئیت keksi gâteau secעוגייה मीठा बिस्कुट, बिस्कुट čajni kolačić aprósütemény kue smákaka biscotto クッキー 쿠키 sausainis, tešlainis cepums biskut koekjesmåkakeciastko, herbatnik كلچه biscoito fursec печенье sušienka piškot keks [små]kaka, kex คุกกี้ kurabiye, bisküvi (美式說法)餅乾 печиво بسکٹ bánh bích quy （美国）饼干