Cheshire

(redirected from County Palatine of Chester)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.

Chesh·ire

also chesh·ire  (chĕsh′ər)
n.
A hard yellow English cheese made from cow's milk.

[After Cheshire, a county of west-central England.]

Cheshire

(ˈtʃɛʃə; ˈtʃɛʃɪə)
n
(Placename) a former administrative county of NW England; administered since 2009 by the unitary authorities of Cheshire West and Chester, and Cheshire East: low-lying and undulating, bordering on the Pennines in the east; mainly agricultural: the geographic and ceremonial county includes Warrington and Halton, which became independent unitary authorities in 1998. Area 2077 sq km (802 sq miles). Abbreviation: Ches

Cheshire

(ˈtʃɛʃə)
n
(Biography) Group Captain (Geoffrey) Leonard. 1917–92, British philanthropist: awarded the Victoria Cross in World War II; founded the Leonard Cheshire Foundation Homes for the Disabled: married Sue, Baroness Ryder

Chesh•ire

(ˈtʃɛʃ ər, -ɪər)

n.
a county in NW England. 966,500; 899 sq. mi. (2328 sq. km).
Formerly, Chester.
References in periodicals archive ?
Known as a seal salver, the elaborately-decorated plate was made for Sir John Willes, Chief Justice of the County Palatine of Chester between 1729 and 1734.
It was made from solid silver wax moulds known as matrices which were used to create the judicial seal of the County Palatine of Chester.
This article describes how he came into contact with some of the most important independent jurisdictions ruled by the English king, in the county palatine of Chester.

Full browser ?