Peterborough(redirected from County of Peterborough)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
Related to County of Peterborough: City of Peterborough
Pe·ter·bor·ough(pē′tər-bûr′ə, -bər-ə, -bŭr′ō)
1. A city of southeast Ontario, Canada, northeast of Toronto on the Trent-Severn Waterway.
2. A city of east-central England east of Leicester. Catherine of Aragon is buried in the cathedral here.
1. (Placename) a city in central England, in Peterborough unitary authority, N Cambridgeshire on the River Nene: industrial centre; under development as a new town since 1968. Pop: 136 292 (2001)
2. (Placename) a unitary authority in central England, in Cambridgeshire. Pop: 158 800 (2003 est). Area: 402 sq km (155 sq miles)
3. (Placename) Soke of Peterborough a former administrative unit of E central England, generally considered part of Northamptonshire or Huntingdonshire: absorbed into Cambridgeshire in 1974
4. (Placename) a city in SE Canada, in SE Ontario: manufacturing centre. Pop: 73 303 (2001)
5. (Swimming, Water Sports & Surfing) a traditional type of wooden canoe formerly made in Peterborough, SE Ontario
Pe•ter•bor•ough(ˈpi tərˌbɜr oʊ, -ˌbʌr oʊ, -bər ə)
1. a city in Cambridgeshire, in central England. 156,400.
2. a city in SE Ontario, in SE Canada. 61,049.
3. Soke of (sōk), a former administrative division in Cambridgeshire, in central England.