cranberry(redirected from Cranberries)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A mat-forming, evergreen shrub (Vaccinium macrocarpon) in the heath family, native to eastern North America and widely cultivated for its tart, red, edible berries.
2. The berries of this plant, used in sauces, jellies, relishes, and beverages.
3. Any of several other plants in the genus Vaccinium having red berries, especially V. oxycoccos.
[Partial translation of Low German Kraansbere, Kraanbere, any of several European cranberry species, literally "crane-berry" (probably from the resemblance of the flower of the European species Vaccinium oxycoccus to the head and neck of a crane) : Kraan, crane (from Middle Low German kran; see gerə- in Indo-European roots) + bere, berry.]
n, pl -ries
1. (Plants) any of several trailing ericaceous shrubs of the genus Vaccinium, such as the European V. oxycoccus, that bear sour edible red berries
2. (Cookery) the berry of this plant, used to make sauce or jelly
[C17: from Low German kraanbere, from kraan crane + bere berry]
cran•ber•ry(ˈkrænˌbɛr i, -bə ri)
n., pl. -ries.
1. the sour red berry of certain plants belonging to the genus Vaccinium, of the heath family, as V.macrocarpon or V.oxycoccos, used esp. to make a sauce, relish, or juice.
2. the plant itself, growing wild in bogs or cultivated in acid soils, esp. in the northeastern U.S.
[1640–50, Amer.; < Low German kraanbere]
cranberry- First crane berry, so named because the plant grows on a stalk that looks like a crane's neck.
See also related terms for stalk.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cranberry - any of numerous shrubs of genus Vaccinium bearing cranberries|
genus Vaccinium, Vaccinium - evergreen or deciduous berry-bearing shrubs of northern hemisphere: cranberries; blueberries
European cranberry, small cranberry, Vaccinium oxycoccus - small red-fruited trailing cranberry of Arctic and cool regions of the northern hemisphere
cowberry, foxberry, lingberry, lingenberry, lingonberry, mountain cranberry, Vaccinium vitis-idaea - low evergreen shrub of high north temperate regions of Europe and Asia and America bearing red edible berries
|2.||cranberry - very tart red berry used for sauce or juice|
berry - any of numerous small and pulpy edible fruits; used as desserts or in making jams and jellies and preserves
cranberry sauce - sauce made of cranberries and sugar
berry - a small fruit having any of various structures, e.g., simple (grape or blueberry) or aggregate (blackberry or raspberry)
cây nam việt quất