croft(redirected from Croft (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
n. Chiefly British
1. A small enclosed field or pasture near a house.
2. A small farm, especially a tenant farm.
[Middle English, from Old English.]
1. (Agriculture) a small enclosed plot of land, adjoining a house, worked by the occupier and his family, esp in Scotland
2. (Textiles) dialect Lancashire a patch of wasteland, formerly one used for bleaching fabric in the sun
[Old English croft; related to Middle Dutch krocht hill, field, Old English creopan to creep]
1. a small farm, esp. one worked by a tenant.
2. a small plot of ground adjacent to a house and used as a kitchen garden or for pasture.
[before 1000; Middle English, Old English]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||croft - a small farm worked by a crofter|
farm - workplace consisting of farm buildings and cultivated land as a unit; "it takes several people to work the farm"
Britain, Great Britain, U.K., UK, United Kingdom, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom