calabash(redirected from Cucuzzi)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. See bottle gourd.
2. A tropical American tree (Crescentia cujete) bearing hard-shelled, gourdlike fruits on the trunk and main branches. Also called calabash tree.
3. The fruit of either of these or related plants.
a. A utensil, container, or musical instrument made from the dried, hollowed-out shell of these fruits.
b. A smoking pipe with a curved stem and a large bowl made from the shell of a gourd.
[French calebasse, gourd, from Spanish calabaza; perhaps akin to Spanish carapacho, tortoise shell, shell of a crab or other arthropod, and galápago, tortoise, and of pre-Roman origin.]
1. (Plants) Also called: calabash tree a tropical American evergreen tree, Crescentia cujete, that produces large round gourds: family Bignoniaceae
2. (Plants) another name for the bottle gourd
3. (Plants) the gourd of either of these plants
4. (Plants) the dried hollow shell of a gourd used as the bowl of a tobacco pipe, a bottle, rattle, etc
5. (Plants) calabash nutmeg a tropical African shrub, Monodora myristica, whose oily aromatic seeds can be used as nutmegs: family Annonaceae
[C17: from obsolete French calabasse, from Spanish calabaza, perhaps from Arabic qar'ah yābisah dry gourd, from qarah gourd + yābisah dry]
1. any of various gourds, esp. the bottle gourd, Lagenaria siceraria.
2. a tropical American tree, Crescentia cujete, of the bignonia family, bearing large, gourdlike fruit.
3. the fruit of any of these plants.
4. the dried, hollowed-out shell of any of these fruits, used as a container or utensil.
5. a tobacco pipe with a large bowl made from a calabash.
[1590–1600; < Middle French calabasse < Sp calabaza < Catalan carabaça]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||calabash - round gourd of the calabash tree |
gourd - any of numerous inedible fruits with hard rinds
|2.||calabash - tropical American evergreen that produces large round gourds|
Crescentia, genus Crescentia - a genus of tropical American trees of the family Bignoniaceae; has a short trunk and crooked limbs and drooping branches
tree - a tall perennial woody plant having a main trunk and branches forming a distinct elevated crown; includes both gymnosperms and angiosperms
|3.||calabash - Old World climbing plant with hard-shelled bottle-shaped gourds as fruits|
|4.||calabash - bottle made from the dried shell of a bottle gourd|
bottle - a glass or plastic vessel used for storing drinks or other liquids; typically cylindrical without handles and with a narrow neck that can be plugged or capped
|5.||calabash - a pipe for smoking; has a curved stem and a large bowl made from a calabash gourd|