pansy(redirected from Culture of pansy)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. pan·sies
1. Any of various plants of the genus Viola, especially V. tricolor or its hybrids, widely cultivated for their flowers with velvety petals of various colors.
2. A deep to strong violet.
3. Offensive Slang
a. Used as a disparaging term for a man or boy who is considered effeminate.
b. Used as a disparaging term for a gay man.
[Middle English pancy, from Old French pensee, thought, remembrance, pansy, from feminine past participle of penser, to think; see pensive.]
n, pl -sies
1. (Plants) any violaceous garden plant that is a variety of Viola tricolor, having flowers with rounded velvety petals, white, yellow, or purple in colour. See also wild pansy
2. slang offensive an effeminate or homosexual man or boy
a. a strong violet colour
b. (as adjective): a pansy carpet.
[C15: from Old French pensée thought, from penser to think, from Latin pensāre]
n., pl. -sies.
1. a violet, Viola tricolor hortensis, cultivated in many varieties, having richly and variously colored flowers.
2. Slang: Disparaging and Offensive. (a contemptuous term used to refer to an effeminate or homosexual male.)
[1490–1500; < Middle French pensée pansy, literally, thought, n. use of feminine past participle of penser to think < Latin pēnsāre to weigh, consider. See pensive]
usage: Definition 3 is a slur and should be avoided. It is used with disparaging intent and is perceived as insulting.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pansy - large-flowered garden plant derived chiefly from the wild pansy of Europe and having velvety petals of various colors|
viola - any of the numerous plants of the genus Viola
|2.||pansy - a timid man or boy considered childish or unassertive|
coward - a person who shows fear or timidity
|3.||pansy - offensive term for an openly homosexual man|
eşcinsel oğlanhercaî menekşeibne
1. – plural ˈpansies – noun a kind of small flower. amor-perfeito orvokki sejenis bunga kecil (꽃) 팬지 viooltje يو ډول كوچنى گل ดอกแพนซี 三色紫蘿蘭，三色堇 三色紫罗兰