curvilinear(redirected from Curvilinear coordinates)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
cur·vi·lin·e·ar(kûr′və-lĭn′ē-ər) also cur·vi·lin·e·al (-əl)
Formed, bounded, or characterized by curved lines.
[Latin curvus, curved; see curve + linear.]
cur′vi·lin′e·ar′i·ty (-ē-ăr′ĭ-tē) n.
1. (Mathematics) consisting of, bounded by, or characterized by a curved line
2. (Mathematics) along a curved line: curvilinear motion.
3. (Mathematics) maths (of a set of coordinates) determined by or determining a system of three orthogonal surfaces
cur•vi•lin•e•ar(ˌkɜr vəˈlɪn i ər)
1. consisting of or bounded by curved lines: a curvilinear figure.
2. formed or characterized by curved lines.
cur`vi•lin`e•ar′i•ty (-ˈær ɪ ti) n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||curvilinear - characterized by or following a curved line; "curvilinear tracery"; "curvilinear motion"|