Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A city of northern Australia on Port Darwin, an inlet of the Timor Sea. Founded as Palmerston in 1869 and renamed in 1911, it is the capital of the Northern Territory.
(Placename) a port in N Australia, capital of the Northern Territory: destroyed by a cyclone in 1974 but rebuilt on the same site. Pop: 129 062 (2011). Former name (1869–1911): Palmerston
1. (Biography) Charles (Robert). 1809–82, English naturalist who formulated the theory of evolution by natural selection, expounded in On the Origin of Species (1859) and applied to man in The Descent of Man (1871)
2. (Biography) his grandfather, Erasmus. 1731–1802, English physician and poet; author of Zoonomia, or the Laws of Organic Life (1794–96), anticipating Lamarck's views on evolution
3. (Biography) Sir George Howard, son of Charles Darwin. 1845–1912, English astronomer and mathematician noted for his work on tidal friction
1. Charles (Robert), 1809–82, English naturalist.
2. his grandfather, Erasmus, 1731–1802, English naturalist and poet.