|Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary|
5,183,664,934 visitors served.
|Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia||0.01 sec.|
one who denies the existence of the devil or demons.
recognition of the existence of demons and goblins.
a mania that causes a person to believe himself possessed and controlled by an evil spirit. Also cacodemonomania. — cacodemonic, cacodemoniac, adj.
1. a belief in the possibility of possession by a demon.
2. demoniac possession. Also demoniacism. — demonian, adj. — demoniac, n., adj.
1. the belief in demons.
2. the worship of demons. Also demonolatry. — demonist, n.
1. the power of demons.
2. government or rule by demons. — demonocratic, adj.
demonology. — demonographer, n.
the worship, through propitiation, of ghosts, demons, and spirits. Also demonism.
1. the study of demons or superstitions about demons.
2. the doctrine of demons. Also demonography. — demonologist, n. — demonologic, demonological, adj.
Obsolete, forms of magie that require the invocation or assistance of demons.
a form of divination involving a demon or demons.
Obsolete, a person who is possessed by demons.
Obsolete, the sway or dominion of demons.
an abnormal fear of spirits and demons.
the working of magie with the aid of demons. — demonurgist, n.
qualities and doctrines that are diabolical. — devilish, adj.
a demoniac; a person possessed by an evil spirit. See also fads
1. the ceremony that seeks to expel an evil spirit from a person or place.
2. the act or process of exorcising. — exorcist, n. — exorcismal, exorcisory, exorcistic, exorcistical, adj.
a demon alleged to lie upon people in their sleep and especially to tempt women to sexual relations. — incubi, n. pl.
1. an ecstatic variety of demonic possession believed by the ancients to be inspired by nymphs.
2. a frenzy of emotion, as for something unattainable. — nympholeptic, adj.
Rare. the worship of spirits dwelling in all forms of nature.
1. the abode of all demons; Heil.
2. any scène of wild confusion or disorder.
a devotion to a multitude of demonic powers or spirits. — polydemonistic, polydaemonistic, adj.
a demon that assumes a female form to tempt men to intercourse, especially appearing in their dreams. — succubi, succubae, n. pl.
Want to thank TFD for its existence? Tell a friend about us, add a link to this page, add the site to iGoogle, or visit the webmaster's page for free fun content.
|Mentioned in||?||References in classic literature||?||Dictionary browser||?||Full browser||?|
That one came too close to the ape-man's craft before its occupants realized that their fellows were pitted against demons instead of men.
And to ply them with that evil still, to keep up the work of demons, is what brings the others back.
Then there rose suddenly above the fiendish cries of the dancing demons the awful challenge of the ape-man.
DemonsDemons And Wizards
Demons Dance Alone
Demons from a Different Dimension
Demons of the Underworld
Demons, Albert Jean Octave
Demonstrably Effective Program Aid
Demonstrably Superior and Pleasingly Different
Demonstrate and Assess New Tools for Environmental Sustainability
Demonstrate My Style
|Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Translations|
Free toolbar & extensions |
Word of the Day |
For webmasters: Free content | Linking | Lookup box | Double-click lookup