dirham(redirected from Dirhem)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. See Table at currency.
2. A unit of currency equal to one one-thousandth of the dinar in Libya and Sudan.
[Arabic, from Greek drakhmē, drachma; see drachma.]
1. (Currencies) the standard monetary unit of Morocco, divided into 100 centimes
2. (Currencies) the standard monetary unit of the United Arab Emirates, divided into 10 dinars and 100 fils
a. a Kuwaiti monetary unit worth one tenth of a dinar and 100 fils
b. a Tunisian monetary unit worth one tenth of a dinar and 100 millimes
c. a Qatari monetary unit worth one hundredth of a riyal
d. a Libyan monetary unit worth one thousandth of a dinar
4. (Currencies) any of various silver coins minted in North African countries at different periods
[C18: from Arabic, from Latin: drachma]
dir•ham(dɪrˈhæm, dɪˈræm, ˈdɪr əm)
1. the basic monetary unit of Morocco and the United Arab Emirates.
2. a monetary unit of Libya, equal to 1/100 of the dinar.
3. a monetary unit of Qatar, equal to 1/100 of the riyal.
[1965–70; < Arabic dirham < Greek dráchma; see drachma]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dirham - 100 dirhams equal 1 riyal in Qatar|
Qatari monetary unit - monetary unit in Qatar
|2.||dirham - the basic unit of money in the United Arab Emirates; equal to 1,000 fils|
United Arab Emirate monetary unit - monetary unit in the United Arab Emirates
|3.||dirham - the basic unit of money in Morocco; equal to 100 centimes|
centime - a fractional monetary unit of several countries: France and Algeria and Belgium and Burkina Faso and Burundi and Cameroon and Chad and the Congo and Gabon and Haiti and the Ivory Coast and Luxembourg and Mali and Morocco and Niger and Rwanda and Senegal and Switzerland and Togo
Moroccan monetary unit - monetary unit in Morocco
|4.||dirham - 100 dirhams equal 1 dinar in Tunisia|
Tunisian monetary unit - monetary unit in Tunisia
millime - 1,000 millimes equal 1 dinar in Tunisia
|5.||dirham - 100 dirhams equal 1 dinar in Libya|
Libyan monetary unit - monetary unit in Libya
|6.||dirham - worth one tenth of a Kuwaiti dinar; equal 100 fils|
fils - a fractional monetary unit in Bahrain and Iraq and Jordan and Kuwait; equal to one thousandth of a dinar
Kuwaiti monetary unit - monetary unit in Kuwait