dodo(redirected from Diricawl)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. do·does or do·dos
1. A large flightless bird (Raphus cucullatus) with a hooked beak that inhabited the island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean until it became extinct in the late 1600s.
2. Informal One who is out-of-date, as in dress or ideas.
3. Informal A stupid person; an idiot.
n, pl dodos or dodoes
1. (Animals) any flightless bird, esp Raphus cucullatus, of the recently extinct family Raphidae of Mauritius and adjacent islands: order Columbiformes (pigeons, etc). They had a hooked bill, short stout legs, and greyish plumage. See also ratite
2. informal an intensely conservative or reactionary person who is unaware of changing fashions, ideas, etc
3. (as) dead as a dodo (of a person or thing) irretrievably defunct or out of date
[C17: from Portuguese doudo, from doudo stupid]
n., pl. -dos, -does.
1. a large, extinct, flightless bird, Raphus cucullatus, of the pigeon family, formerly inhabiting Mauritius.
2. Slang. a dull-witted, slow-reacting person.
[1620–30; < Portuguese doudo, fool, madman]
dodo- Comes from Portuguese doudo, "fool, simpleton," from the bird's awkward appearance.
See also related terms for simpleton.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dodo - someone whose style is out of fashion|
colloquialism - a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech
|2.||dodo - extinct heavy flightless bird of Mauritius related to pigeons|
columbiform bird - a cosmopolitan order of land birds having small heads and short legs with four unwebbed toes
dodo[ˈdəʊdəʊ] N (dodos or dodoes (pl))
1. (Zool) → dodó m
see also dead A1
see also dead A1
2. (US) (= fool) → bobo/a m/f