domino(redirected from Domini)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Domini: anno Domini
n. pl. dom·i·noes or dom·i·nos
a. A small rectangular wood or plastic block, the face of which is divided into halves, each half being blank or marked by dots resembling those on dice.
b. dominoes or dominos(used with a sing. or pl. verb) A game played with a set of these small blocks, generally 28 in number.
2. A country expected to react politically to events as predicted by the domino theory: "The dominos did indeed fall in Indochina" (Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.).
[French, probably from domino, mask, perhaps because of the resemblance between the eyeholes and the spots on some of the tiles; see domino2.]
n. pl. dom·i·noes or dom·i·nos
a. A costume consisting of a hooded robe worn with an eye mask at a masquerade.
b. The mask so worn.
2. One wearing this costume.
n, pl -noes
1. (Games, other than specified) a small rectangular block used in the game of dominoes, divided on one side into two equal areas, each of which is either blank or marked with from one to six dots
2. (modifier) exhibiting the domino effect: a domino pattern of takeovers.
[C19: from French, from Italian, perhaps from domino! master, said by the winner]
n, pl -noes or -nos
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a large hooded cloak worn with an eye mask at a masquerade
2. (Clothing & Fashion) the eye mask worn with such a cloak
[C18: from French or Italian, probably from Latin dominus lord, master]
(Biography) Fats. real name Antoine Domino born 1928, US rhythm-and-blues and rock-and-roll pianist, singer, and songwriter. His singles include "Ain't that a Shame" (1955) and "Blueberry Hill" (1956)
n., pl. -noes.
1. a small, flat block, the face of which has two squares, each either blank or bearing pips or dots.
2. dominoes, (used with a sing. v.) a game in which the ends of such pieces are matched.
[1710–20; perhaps identical with domino2]
n., pl. -noes, -nos.
1. a loose, hooded cloak worn with a half mask by persons in masquerade.
2. the mask.
3. a person wearing such dress.
[1710–20; < Italian]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Domino - United States rhythm and blues pianist and singer and composer (born in 1928)|
|2.||domino - a loose hooded cloak worn with a half mask as part of a masquerade costume|
cloak - a loose outer garment
|3.||domino - a mask covering the upper part of the face but with holes for the eyes|
mask - a covering to disguise or conceal the face
|4.||domino - a small rectangular block used in playing the game of dominoes; the face of each block has two equal areas that can bear 0 to 6 dots|
block - a solid piece of something (usually having flat rectangular sides); "the pyramids were built with large stone blocks"
one-spot - a domino or die whose upward face shows one pip
حَجَر الدّومينولُعْبَةُ الدومينو
dominová kostkakostka domina
quân cờ domino
domino(ˈdominəu) – plural ˈdominoes – noun
an oblong piece of wood etc marked with spots with which the game of ˈdominoes is played. domino حَجَر الدّومينو домино dominó kostka domina der Domino dominobrik ντόμινοdominó doominokivi مهره دومینو domino dominoדומינו एक तरह का खेल domino pločice dominó domino dómínókubbur domino ドミノ遊び 도미노 domino domino kauliņš; domino (spēle) domino dominodominobrikkedomino يوډول زرمبك داره خولۍچه ښوونكى او مسيحى ملايان ئى پر سر كوى يو ډول لوبه چه (28) ګنټې لرى او له دوو خواولو بوله كيږى dominó domino домино kocka domina domina domina dominobricka ตัวโดมิโน domino taşı 骨牌 доміно ڈومینو نامی کھیل کے 28 پانسہ نما لنبوترے مہروں یا لکلیوں میں کوئی جن پر صفر تا 6 کے نشان ہوتے ہیں cờ đô mi nô （西洋）骨牌