dreaming(redirected from Dreaming (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A series of images, ideas, emotions, and sensations occurring involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep.
2. A daydream; a reverie.
3. A state of abstraction; a trance: wandering around in a dream.
4. A condition or achievement that is longed for; an aspiration: a dream of owning their own business.
5. A wild fancy or unrealistic hope: He knew that playing for a professional team was only a dream.
6. Informal One that is exceptionally gratifying, excellent, or beautiful: Her boyfriend is a dream.
v. dreamed or dreamt (drĕmt), dream·ing, dreams
1. To experience a dream in sleep: dreamed of meeting an old friend.
2. To daydream: sat there dreaming during class.
3. To have a deep aspiration or hope: dreaming of a world at peace.
4. To regard something as feasible or practical: I wouldn't dream of skiing on icy slopes.
1. To experience a dream of while asleep: Did it storm last night, or did I dream it?
2. To conceive as possible; imagine: We never dreamed it would snow so much.
3. To have as an aspiration or hope: She dreams that she will become a pilot.
4. To pass (time) idly or in reverie.
dream on Informal
Used in the imperative to indicate that a statement or suggestion is improbable or unrealistic.
To invent; concoct: dreamed up a plan to corner the market.
[Middle English drem, from Old English drēam, joy, music; akin to Old Saxon drōm, mirth, dream.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dreaming - imaginative thoughts indulged in while awake; "he lives in a dream that has nothing to do with reality"|
imagination, imaginativeness, vision - the formation of a mental image of something that is not perceived as real and is not present to the senses; "popular imagination created a world of demons"; "imagination reveals what the world could be"
air castle, castle in Spain, castle in the air, daydream, daydreaming, oneirism, reverie, revery - absentminded dreaming while awake
woolgathering - an idle indulgence in fantasy
|2.||dreaming - a series of mental images and emotions occurring during sleep; "I had a dream about you last night"|
sleeping - the state of being asleep
imagery, imaging, mental imagery, imagination - the ability to form mental images of things or events; "he could still hear her in his imagination"
nightmare - a terrifying or deeply upsetting dream
wet dream - an erotic dream (usually at night) accompanied by the (nocturnal) emission of semen