Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Duma: State Duma
1. The lower house of the Russian parliament.
2. A Russian national parliament during czarist times.
[Russian, thought, council, assembly, of Germanic origin; see dhē- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
1. (Historical Terms) (usually capital) the elective legislative assembly established by Tsar Nicholas II in 1905: overthrown by the Bolsheviks in 1917
2. (Historical Terms) (before 1917) any official assembly or council
3. (Historical Terms) short for State Duma, the lower chamber of the Russian parliament
[C20: from duma thought, of Germanic origin; related to Gothic dōms judgment]
n., pl. -mas.
1. (in Russia before 1917) a council or official assembly.
2. (cap.) an elective legislative assembly, established in 1905 by Nicholas II.
[1865–70; < Russian, Old Russian dúma assembly, council (an early homonym with dúma thought)]
The Russian elected legislative assembly unwillingly convened by Nicholas II in 1905 and finally overthrown in the 1917 Bolshevik revolution.