dumbbell(redirected from Dumbells)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. A weight consisting of a short bar with a metal ball or disk at each end that is lifted for muscular development and exercise.
2. Slang A stupid person; a dolt.
[From an apparatus similar to that used in ringing a church bell, but without the bell, used for practice or physical exercise.]
1. (Gymnastics) gymnastics weightlifting an exercising weight consisting of a single bar with a heavy ball or disc at either end
2. (Weightlifting) gymnastics weightlifting an exercising weight consisting of a single bar with a heavy ball or disc at either end
3. a small wooden object shaped like this used in dog training for the dog to retrieve
4. slang chiefly US and Canadian a fool
1. a hand weight for exercising, consisting of two heavy balls or disks connected by a graspable bar.
2. Slang. a stupid person.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dumbbell - an exercising weight; two spheres connected by a short bar that serves as a handle|
|2.||dumbbell - an ignorant or foolish person|