easting(redirected from Easting and northing)
Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The easterly component of the distance traveled between two positions.
2. Progress toward the east.
1. (Nautical Terms) nautical the net distance eastwards made by a vessel moving towards the east
2. (Physical Geography) cartography
a. the distance eastwards of a point from a given meridian indicated by the first half of a map grid reference
b. a longitudinal grid line. Compare northing3
1. the distance due east made good on any course tending eastward.
2. a shifting eastward.
Eastward (that is from left to right) reading of grid values on a map.