Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Eden: Eden Project
1. Bible The garden of God and the first home of Adam and Eve. Also called Garden of Eden.
2. A delightful place; a paradise.
3. A state of innocence, bliss, or ultimate happiness.
[Middle English, from Late Latin, from Greek Ēdēn, from Hebrew 'ēden, delight, Eden; see ġdn in Semitic roots.]
E·den′ic (ē-dĕn′ĭk) adj.
1. (Bible) Old Testament Also called: Garden of Eden the garden in which Adam and Eve were placed at the Creation
2. a delightful place, region, dwelling, etc; paradise
3. a state of great delight, happiness, or contentment; bliss
[C14: from Late Latin, from Hebrew `ēdhen place of pleasure]
(Biography) Sir (Robert) Anthony, Earl of Avon. 1897–1977, British Conservative statesman; foreign secretary (1935–38; 1940–45; 1951–55) and prime minister (1955–57). He resigned after the controversy caused by the occupation of the Suez Canal zone by British and French forces (1956)
1. Also called Garden of Eden. the place where Adam and Eve lived before the Fall. Gen. 2:8–24.
2. a delightful place.
3. a state of bliss.
[< Hebrew 'ēden delight]
E•den•ic (iˈdɛn ɪk) adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Eden - any place of complete bliss and delight and peace|
|2.||Eden - a beautiful garden where Adam and Eve were placed at the Creation; when they disobeyed and ate the forbidden fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil they were driven from their paradise (the fall of man)|
Heaven - the abode of God and the angels