rennet(redirected from Emporase)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. An extract made from the inner lining of the fourth stomach of a calf or other young ruminant, used in cheesemaking to curdle milk.
2. A similar enzyme-containing substance obtained from certain other animals, plants, fungi, or bacteria.
a. the membrane lining the fourth stomach (abomasum) of a young calf
b. the stomach of certain other young animals
2. (Biochemistry) a substance, containing the enzyme rennin, prepared esp from the stomachs of calves and used for curdling milk in making cheese and junket
[C15: related to Old English gerinnan to curdle, run]
1. the lining membrane of the fourth stomach of a calf or of the stomach of certain other young animals.
2. the rennin-containing substance from the stomach of an unweaned animal, esp. a calf.
3. a preparation of the rennet membrane used esp. in making cheese.
[1400–50; compare Old English gerennan, Old High German gerennen to coagulate]
A substance containing the enzyme renin, extracted from the stomach lining of calves and used to coagulate milk for making cheese.