autochthon(redirected from Epigeius)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. au·toch·thons or au·toch·tho·nes (-thə-nēz′)
1. One that originated or was formed where it is found, especially a rock formation that has not been displaced.
2. One of the earliest known inhabitants of a place; an aborigine.
3. Ecology An indigenous plant or animal.
n, pl -thons or -thones (-θəˌniːz)
1. (Anthropology & Ethnology) (often plural) one of the earliest known inhabitants of any country; aboriginal
2. (Biology) an animal or plant that is native to a particular region
[C17: from Greek autokhthōn from the earth itself, from auto- + khthōn the earth]
n., pl. -thons, -tho•nes (-θəˌniz)
1. an aboriginal inhabitant.
2. one of the indigenous animals or plants of a region.
[1640–50; < Greek autóchthōn=auto- auto-1 + chthṓn the earth, land, ground]