episcopal(redirected from Episcopals)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Episcopals: Ecusa
1. Of or relating to a bishop.
2. Of, relating to, or involving church government by bishops.
3. Episcopal Of or relating to the Episcopal Church.
[Middle English, from Late Latin episcopālis, from episcopus, bishop; see bishop.]
(Ecclesiastical Terms) of, denoting, governed by, or relating to a bishop or bishops
[C15: from Church Latin episcopālis, from episcopus bishop]
(Ecclesiastical Terms) belonging to or denoting the Episcopal Church
e•pis•co•pal(ɪˈpɪs kə pəl)
1. of or pertaining to a bishop.
2. based on or recognizing a governing order of bishops.
3. (cap.) designating the Anglican Church or some branch of it, as the Episcopal Church.
[1425–75; late Middle English < Late Latin episcopālis]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||Episcopal - of or pertaining to or characteristic of the Episcopal church; "the Episcopal hierarchy"; "married by an Episcopalian minister"|
|2.||episcopal - denoting or governed by or relating to a bishop or bishops|
episcopal[ɪˈpɪskəpəl] ADJ → episcopal
episcopal[ɪˈpɪskəpəl] adj → épiscopal(e) Episcopal ChurchEpiscopal Church n
the Episcopal Church → l'Église épiscopalienne