etching(redirected from Etching (art))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. The art of preparing etched plates, especially metal plates, from which designs and pictures are printed.
2. A design etched on a plate.
3. An impression made from an etched plate.
1. (Crafts) the art, act, or process of preparing etched surfaces or of printing designs from them
2. (Crafts) an etched plate
3. (Crafts) an impression made from an etched plate
1. the act or process of making designs on a metal plate, glass, etc., by the corrosive action of an acid.
2. an impression, as on paper, taken from an etched plate.
3. the design so produced.
4. a metal plate bearing such a design.
1. A process in which a special needle is used to draw a design on a metal plate overlaid with wax. The plate is then treated with acid, inked, and finally used to print reproductions of the design.
2. Developed in the sixteenth century, engraving on a waxcovered metal plate which is scratched with a needle to expose the surface then placed in acid, which cuts into the plate where scratched. Longer exposure to acid makes a darker print line.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||etching - an impression made from an etched plate|
aquatint - an etching made by a process that makes it resemble a water color
engraving - a print made from an engraving
|2.||etching - an etched plate made with the use of acid|
engraving - a block or plate or other hard surface that has been engraved
|3.||etching - making engraved or etched plates and printing designs from them|
printmaking - artistic design and manufacture of prints as woodcuts or silkscreens
steel engraving - the act of engraving on a steel plate
aquatint - a method of etching that imitates the broad washes of a water color
(= picture) → Ätzung f; (in copper) → Kupferstich m; (in other metals) → Radierung f; come up and see my etchings (hum) → wollen Sie noch mit heraufkommen und sich (dat) → meine Briefmarkensammlung ansehen? (hum)