Euboea

(redirected from Euboia)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.

Eu·boe·a

 (yo͞o-bē′ə) also Ev·voia (ĕv′yä)
An island of central Greece in the Aegean Sea east of the mainland. It was settled by Ionian and Thracian colonists and was later controlled by Athens, Rome, Byzantium, Venice, and Turkey before becoming part of Greece in 1830.

Euboea

(juːˈbɪə)
n
(Placename) an island in the W Aegean Sea: the largest island after Crete of the Greek archipelago; linked with the mainland by a bridge across the Euripus channel. Capital: Chalcis. Pop: 198 130 (2001). Area: 3908 sq km (1509 sq miles). Modern Greek name: Évvoia Former English name: Negropont

Eu•boe•a

(yuˈbi ə)

n.
a Greek island in the W Aegean Sea. 188,410; 1586 sq. mi. (4110 sq. km). Cap.: Chalcis. Modern Greek, Evvoia.
Eu•boe′an, adj., n.
Eu•bo′ic (-ˈboʊ ɪk) adj.
Translations
Euböa
Eubée
EubeaEviaNegroponte
References in periodicals archive ?
Stallings's "Aegean Story: Euboia, Greece," a slight but touching elegy for a fisherman's son, age twenty-three, who was washed overboard in a storm.
The oval shape and modest size, approximately 1ha, of the fortified habitation, place Vayia in a widespread group of EB II Aegean settlements at a scale beneath the large to truly enormous settlements that are known from the Greek mainland and Euboia, including unfortified sites at Lithares (3.
Regarding the contacts of the Cyclades and the activities of their inhabitants during the Late Neolithic period, the similarities in pottery to both the Dodecanese and Euboia, the presence of Melian obsidian in these areas from the very beginning of this period, the northern affinities of the gold strip from the Neolithic stratum of the Zas cave on Naxos, and the occurrence in Thasos of Late Neolithic pottery evocative of the southern Aegean, all suggest that the seafarers of the Cyclades may have had more intensive activity than is usually believed and have played an active role in the circulation of products and ideas around the Aegean coasts already from this early period.