excommunication(redirected from Excommunicaton)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. The act of excommunicating.
2. The state of being excommunicated.
3. A formal ecclesiastical censure that deprives a person of the right to belong to a church.
ex•com•mu•ni•ca•tion(ˌɛks kəˌmyu nɪˈkeɪ ʃən)
1. the act of excommunicating.
2. the state of being excommunicated.
3. the sentence by which a person is excommunicated.
[1425–75; < Late Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||excommunication - the state of being excommunicated |
rejection - the state of being rejected
|2.||excommunication - the act of banishing a member of a church from the communion of believers and the privileges of the church; cutting a person off from a religious society|
excommunication[ˈekskəˌmjuːnɪˈkeɪʃən] N → excomunión f
excommunication[ˌɛkskəmjuːnɪˈkeɪʃən] n [member of church] → excommunication f
n → Exkommunikation f