demesne(redirected from Feudal domain)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Law Possession and use of one's own land.
2. Manorial land retained for the private use of a feudal lord.
3. The grounds belonging to a mansion or country house.
4. An extensive piece of landed property; an estate.
5. A district; a territory.
6. A realm; a domain.
[Anglo-French, respelling (probably influenced by French mesne, variant of Anglo-Norman meen, middle, in legal phrase mesne lord, lord who holds a manor of a superior lord) of Middle English demeine, from Anglo-Norman, from Old French demaine; see domain.]
1. (Law) land, esp surrounding a house or manor, retained by the owner for his or her own use
2. (Law) property law the possession and use of one's own property or land
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the territory ruled by a state or a sovereign; realm; domain
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a region or district; domain
[C14: from Old French demeine; see domain]
1. possession of land as one's own.
2. an estate occupied by and worked exclusively for the owner.
3. the dominion or territory of a sovereign or state; domain.
4. a district; region.
[1250–1300; < Anglo-French demesne, Old French demein; see domain]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||demesne - extensive landed property (especially in the country) retained by the owner for his own use; "the family owned a large estate on Long Island"|
freehold - an estate held in fee simple or for life
glebe - plot of land belonging to an English parish church or an ecclesiastical office
leasehold - land or property held under a lease
smallholding - a piece of land under 50 acres that is sold or let to someone for cultivation
homestead - land acquired from the United States public lands by filing a record and living on and cultivating it under the homestead law
barony - the estate of a baron
countryseat - an estate in the country
Crown land - land that belongs to the Crown
manor - the landed estate of a lord (including the house on it)
hacienda - a large estate in Spanish-speaking countries
plantation - an estate where cash crops are grown on a large scale (especially in tropical areas)
entail - land received by fee tail
|2.||demesne - territory over which rule or control is exercised; "his domain extended into Europe"; "he made it the law of the land"|
country, land, state - the territory occupied by a nation; "he returned to the land of his birth"; "he visited several European countries"
archduchy - the domain controlled by an archduke or archduchess
barony - the domain of a baron
earldom - the domain controlled by an earl or count or countess
emirate - the domain controlled by an emir
empire, imperium - the domain ruled by an emperor or empress; the region over which imperial dominion is exercised
fiefdom - the domain controlled by a feudal lord
grand duchy - the domain controlled by a grand duke or grand duchess
viscounty - the domain controlled by a viscount or viscountess
khanate - the realm of a khan
suzerainty - the domain of a suzerain
region - a large indefinite location on the surface of the Earth; "penguins inhabit the polar regions"