fiat(redirected from Fiat Group)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal.
Related to Fiat Group: Lancia
fi·at(fē′ət, -ăt′, -ät′, fī′ăt′, -ət)
1. An arbitrary order or decree.
2. Authorization or sanction: government fiat.
1. official sanction; authoritative permission
2. an arbitrary order or decree
3. chiefly literary any command, decision, or act of will that brings something about
[C17: from Latin, literally: let it be done, from fierī to become]
fi•at(ˈfi ɑt, -æt; ˈfaɪ ət, -æt)
1. an authoritative decree, sanction, or order: a royal fiat.
2. an arbitrary decree or pronouncement, esp. by a person or group of persons having absolute authority to enforce it: to rule by fiat.
[1625–35; < Latin: let it be done]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fiat - a legally binding command or decision entered on the court record (as if issued by a court or judge); "a friend in New Mexico said that the order caused no trouble out there"|
act, enactment - a legal document codifying the result of deliberations of a committee or society or legislative body
consent decree - an agreement between two parties that is sanctioned by the court; for example, a company might agree to stop certain questionable practices without admitting guilt
curfew - an order that after a specific time certain activities (as being outside on the streets) are prohibited
decree nisi - a decree issued on a first petition for divorce; becomes absolute at some later date
imperial decree - a decree issued by a sovereign ruler
judicial separation, legal separation - a judicial decree regulating the rights and responsibilities of a married couple living apart
programma - an edict that has been publicly posted
stay - a judicial order forbidding some action until an event occurs or the order is lifted; "the Supreme Court has the power to stay an injunction pending an appeal to the whole Court"
papal bull, bull - a formal proclamation issued by the pope (usually written in antiquated characters and sealed with a leaden bulla)