fig leaf(redirected from Figleaf)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Figleaf: bravissimo
1. A stylized representation of the leaf of a fig, used especially to conceal genitals depicted in works of art.
2. Something that serves as a usually insufficient concealment or camouflage: "Many fallen executives are still allowed the fig leaf of 'resignation'" (David Pauly).
1. (Bible) a leaf from a fig tree
2. (Art Terms) a representation of a leaf, usually a vine leaf rather than an actual fig leaf, used in painting or sculpture to cover the genitals of nude figures
3. a device intended to conceal something regarded as shameful or indecent
1. the leaf of a fig tree.
2. a representation of a fig leaf, esp. a cover for the genitalia on a statue or in a painting.
3. something intended to conceal what may be considered improper.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fig leaf - a leaf from a fig tree|
|2.||fig leaf - a covering consisting of anything intended to conceal something regarded as shameful|
covering - an artifact that covers something else (usually to protect or shelter or conceal it)