Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n, pl -ture (-ˈtʊəreɪ)
(Music, other) music embellishment, esp ornamentation added by the performer
[Italian: a blossoming]
or•na•ment(n. ˈɔr nə mənt; v. -ˌmɛnt, -mənt)
n., v. -ment•ed, -ment•ing. n.
1. an object or feature intended to beautify the appearance of that to which it is added or of which it is a part; embellishment; decoration.
2. a group or style of such objects or features; ornamentation.
3. any adornment or means of adornment.
4. a person or thing that adds to the credit or glory of a society, era, etc.
5. the act of adorning.
6. a tone or group of tones applied as decoration to a principal melodic tone.
7. any religious accessory, adjunct, or equipment.v.t.
8. to furnish with ornaments; embellish; decorate.
9. to serve as an ornament to.
[1175–1225; Middle English ornement < Old French < Latin ornāmentum equipment, ornament]