fisher(redirected from Fisher (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. One that fishes, as a person or ship engaged in fishing: "Her son-in-law was a splendid fisher. One day he caught a beautiful big fish" (James Joyce).
a. A carnivorous mammal (Martes pennanti) of northern North America, having thick, dark-brown fur. Also called pekan.
b. The fur of this animal.
1. a person who fishes; fisherman
a. a large North American marten, Martes pennanti, having thick dark brown fur
b. the fur of this animal
3. (Christian Churches, other) fisher of men an evangelist
1. (Biography) Andrew. 1862–1928, Australian statesman, born in Scotland: prime minister of Australia (1908–09; 1910–13; 1914–15)
2. (Biography) Saint John. ?1469–1535, English prelate and scholar: executed for refusing to acknowledge Henry VIII as supreme head of the church. Feast day: June 22
3. (Biography) John Arbuthnot 1st Baron Fisher of Kilverstone. 1841–1920, British admiral; First Sea Lord (1904–10; 1914–15); introduced the dreadnought
1. a fisherman.
2. a dark-furred North American marten, Martes pennanti.
3. the fur of this animal.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||fisher - someone whose occupation is catching fish|
trawler - a fisherman who use a trawl net
|2.||fisher - large dark brown North American arboreal carnivorous mammal|