fissile(redirected from Fissile nuclide)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Possible to split.
2. Physics Fissionable, especially by neutrons of all energies.
3. Geology Easily split along close parallel planes.
[Latin fissilis, from fissus, split; see fissi-.]
fis·sil′i·ty (fĭ-sĭl′ĭ-tē) n.
1. (Nuclear Physics) Brit capable of undergoing nuclear fission as a result of the impact of slow neutrons
2. (General Physics) US and Canadian another word for fissionable
3. tending to split or capable of being split
[C17: from Latin fissilis, from fissus split; see fissi-]
1. capable of being split or divided.
[1655–65; < Latin fissilis easily split]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||fissile - capable of undergoing nuclear fission; "a fissionable nucleous"; "fissionable material"|
|2.||fissile - capable of being split or cleft or divided in the direction of the grain; "fissile crystals"; "fissile wood"|
nonfissile - not fissile