flapper(redirected from Flapper girl)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A broad flexible part, such as a flipper.
2. A young woman of the 1920s who rebelled against conventional ideas of ladylike behavior and dress.
[Sense 2, British Slang, very young female prostitute, flapper, possibly from flapper, fledgling partridge or duck (from flap) or from dialectal flap, loose or flighty girl.]
1. a person or thing that flaps
2. (Historical Terms) (in the 1920s) a young woman, esp one flaunting her unconventional dress and behaviour
1. something broad and flat used for striking.
2. a broad flat hinged or hanging piece; flap.
3. a young woman flouting conventional behavior esp. in the 1920s.
A name applied in the 1920s to young women who behaved in public in a somewhat risqu? manner.