Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Flor·en·tine(flôr′ən-tēn′, -tīn′, flŏr′-)
1. Of or relating to Florence, Italy.
2. often florentine Having or characterized by a dull chased or rubbed finish. Used of gold.
3. Prepared, cooked, or served with spinach.
1. A native or inhabitant of Florence, Italy.
2. also florentine A crisp, thin cookie made with almonds or other nuts and sometimes candied fruit, often topped with chocolate.
[Latin Flōrentīnus, from Flōrentia, Florence, Italy.]
1. (Placename) of or relating to Florence
2. (Cookery) (usually postpositive) (of food) served or prepared with spinach
3. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Florence
4. (Cookery) a biscuit containing nuts and dried fruit and coated with chocolate
5. (Breeds) a type of domestic fancy pigeon somewhat resembling the Modena
Flor•en•tine(ˈflɔr ənˌtin, -ˌtaɪn, ˈflɒr-)
1. of or pertaining to Florence, Italy.
2. (of food) served or prepared with spinach: eggs Florentine.n.
3. a native or resident of Florence.
[1535–45; < Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Florentine - a native or resident of Florence, Italy|
Firenze, Florence - a city in central Italy on the Arno; provincial capital of Tuscany; center of the Italian Renaissance from 14th to 16th centuries
Italian - a native or inhabitant of Italy
|Adj.||1.||Florentine - of or relating to or characteristic of the city of Florence; "Florentine art"|