foresail(redirected from Fore sail)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. The lowest and usually largest sail set on the foremast of a sailing vessel.
2. The triangular sail hung to the forestay of a cutter or sloop.
foresail(ˈfɔːˌseɪl; nautical ˈfɔːsəl)
1. (Nautical Terms) the aftermost headsail of a fore-and-aft rigged vessel
2. (Nautical Terms) the lowest sail set on the foremast of a square-rigged vessel
fore•sail(ˈfɔrˌseɪl, ˈfoʊr-; Naut. -səl)
1. the lowermost sail on a foremast.
2. the staysail or jib, set immediately forward of the mainmast of a sloop, cutter, yawl, or ketch.