Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Frankenstein: Frankenstein monster
1. An agency or creation that slips from the control of and ultimately destroys its creator: "How can we keep the government we create from becoming a Frankenstein that will destroy the very freedom we establish it to protect?" (Milton Friedman).
2. A monster having the appearance of a man.
[From Frankenstein, the creator of the artificial monster in Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley.]
1. a person who creates something that brings about his ruin
2. Also called: Frankenstein's monster a thing that destroys its creator
[C19: after Baron Frankenstein, who created a destructive monster from parts of corpses in the novel by Mary Shelley (1818)]
1. a destructive agency that cannot be controlled or that brings about the creator's ruin.
2. a monster shaped like a human being.
3. the creator of such an agency or monster.
[1830–40; after the creator of a monster in Mary Shelley's novel of the same name (1818)]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Frankenstein - an agency that escapes control and destroys its creator|
agency - the state of being in action or exerting power; "the agency of providence"; "she has free agency"
|2.||Frankenstein - the monster created by Frankenstein in a gothic novel by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (the creator's name is commonly used to refer to his creation)|
|3.||Frankenstein - the fictional Swiss scientist who was the protagonist in a gothic novel by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley; he created a monster from parts of corpses|